Monastery.social is intended to be an oasis of prayer, contemplation, conversation, and support.
Therefore, all members are required to pledge to follow the Code of Conduct listed below as a condition of their use of the service. Please read these rules carefully. Our rules are probably stricter than those of many other platforms you might use. We leave room for a variety of opinions and welcome seekers of truth from all traditions, but this is not a “free speech zone.” It is a community of prayerful respect. The moderators of monastery.social reserve the right to interpret this code and make final judgments in line with this mission.
Engage in community.
We try, with God’s help, to cultivate a community of encounter, dialogue, and mutual support. Therefore, the following types of content will be removed:
Respect human dignity.
- Commercial advertising.
- Bots, except when approved by moderators for a community purpose
- Repeaters of RSS feeds or cross-posters from Twitter (this is a community, so all accounts must be run by an actual person)
We try, with God’s help, to live out the principles of the Gospel. This includes the conviction that every human being has dignity and is created in the image of God. Therefore, the following types of content will be removed:
- Pornography and degrading sexual content
- Gore and graphic violence
- Hate speech (for example, racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and hated against other religions)
- Symbols and advocacy of political movements adjacent to hate speech (for example, holocaust denial, fascist symbolism, or nationalism)
We try, with God’s help, to respect one another. The following behaviors are not allowed and may result in your access being suspended:
Use content warnings liberally.
- Stalking or harassing other community members
- Continuing to send messages to somebody who has asked you to stop
- Impeding other members from taking part in the community
- Inciting other members to perform any of the aforementioned actions
We recognize that members come from different backgrounds and traditions and may not always agree. We encourage respectful dialogue about disagreement. We realize that not everybody is interested in certain types of content (such as debate), and that members will have vatrious standards of taste and etiquette. The following types of content are allowed, but must be tagged with a content warning that allows other users to opt-out of a discussion:
- Advertising of spiritual opportunities (such as retreats, conferences, or other instances)
- Debate of divisive issues
- Artistic and legal depictions of nudity (eg. in a painting) that are relevant to a discussion
- Artistic and legal depictions of violence (eg. in a painting or comic book) that are relevant to a discussion
- Cursing and profane language
- Spoilers about television episodes, movies, or books